Making the switch from a plastic to a bamboo toothbrush is one of the easiest steps you can take towards a more sustainable environment. There are many different choices now available on the market with each brand bringing something different to offer. We’ve done some research to give you a rundown of our favorites.
We’ll review the following factors:
- Handle – is it made from 100% bamboo? Is it BPA-free? How does it feel in hand?
- Bristles – are they soft or hard? What material are the bristles made from? Are they charcoal-infused or not? More on this later.
- Packaging – is the packaging plastic-free with biodegradable or compostable materials? How many are offered in each pack?
- Brand – does the brand have an approach to a more eco-friendly and sustainable environment?
So, what are the best bamboo toothbrushes?
Best Bamboo Toothbrushes
Before we take a deep look into all of the best bamboo toothbrushes available today, here’s a quick overview of what we’ll be covering:
Last update on 2020-02-18. Source: Amazon.com.
Now, let’s take a deeper look into the best bamboo toothbrushes!
1. Mother’s Vault Bamboo Toothbrush
- Handle – made from 100% natural bamboo, handles are slightly curved for an ergonomic design. Coated in natural beeswax so bamboo is less likely to splinter over time.
- Bristles – medium to soft, made from white BPA-free nylon
- Packaging – packaged in cardboard that is biodegradable. Sold in packs of 4.
- Brand – a brand committed towards a sustainable environment, Mother’s Vault donates a portion of every sale to EarthJustice, the largest nonprofit environmental law organization in the US.
- Bottom line – the Mother’s Vault Bamboo Toothbrush (link to read reviews on Amazon) is an affordable toothbrush for those wishing to give bamboo toothbrushes a try for the first time.
2. Baboo Organic Bamboo Toothbrush
- Handle – handles are rounded with a thick and polished feel. Made from 100% organically grown Moso bamboo, each brush has separate white and black colors.
- Bristles – bristles are medium to soft, made from BPA-free nylon. One brush contains a charcoal powder that will remove stains and substances from your teeth (black), while another is standard nylon without the added charcoal powder (white).
- Packaging – compostable cardboard packaging contains no plastic. Sold in packs of 2.
- Brand – a small US-owned and operated brand that specializes in producing eco-friendly bamboo toothbrushes.
- Bottom line – the Baboo Organic Bamboo Toothbrush (link to read reviews on Amazon) is your best choice if you are curious about trying out a charcoal-infused toothbrush for the first time. If charcoal-infused bristles don’t suit your brushing preferences, you will still have a standard nylon bamboo toothbrush to use.
3. GoWoo Natural Bamboo Toothbrush
- Handle – handles are rounded and thick with an assortment of eye-catching pastel colors. Made from 100% Chinese-grown Moso bamboo.
- Bristles – plant-based bristles are made from 68% castor oil and 32% BPA-free nylon. Smaller in size, these bristles are extra-soft ideal for sensitive gums or teeth. Fortunately, they are dyed using non-toxic food coloring, so no worry about any added chemicals in your mouth.
- Packaging – packaged with compostable cardboard and contains zero plastic. Sold in packs of 4.
- Brand – a small eco-friendly brand that specializes in bamboo personal care products.
- Bottom line – the GoWoo Natural Bamboo Toothbrush (link to read reviews on Amazon) has the best eye-catching appeal of any bamboo toothbrush due to their cute colors on the handles and bristles.
4. Dr. Perfect Bamboo Toothbrush
- Handle – handle is made from bamboo, with a flat and more traditional grip.
- Bristles – made from BPA-free nylon, available in both extra soft and hard versions.
- Packaging – uniquely packaged in an unbleached large recyclable paper bag, free from any added plastic. Sold in packs of 12.
- Brand – Dr. Perfect Oral care is a small eco-friendly brand that specializes in a variety of oral care products.
- Bottom line – the Dr. Perfect Bamboo Toothbrushes (link to read reviews on Amazon) come in a large quantity (pack of 12) giving you the best overall value for a bamboo toothbrush. Perfect for large families, just make sure you can mark these with some sort of identifier so they don’t get mixed up!
5. Leafico Bamboo Toothbrush with Travel Case
- Handle – handle is made from 100% bamboo and features a thin ergonomic design for a comfortable grip. Each handle has a separate number, perfect for small families.
- Bristles – soft to medium bristles are black in color and charcoal-infused made from BPA-free nylon.
- Packaging – the packaging is minimal and plastic-free with compostable cardboard. Sold in a pack of 4 with an added bonus of a bamboo travel case.
- Brand – a small brand that offers a variety of products for an eco-friendly lifestyle.
- Bottom line – Due to the added bonus of the bamboo travel case, the Leafico Bamboo Toothbrush with Travel Case (link to read reviews on Amazon) is the best bamboo toothbrush for traveling.
6. Bamdable Bamboo Toothbrush for Kids
- Handle – the handle is made from 100% bamboo, but is much shorter in length (5.8 inches), and designed to be used by children. Each handle has a cute farm animal design at the bottom of the handle.
- Bristles – bristles are extra-soft and much smaller in size, made from BPA-free nylon. Each brush has a different bristle color.
- Packaging – minimally packaged with compostable cardboard free of any added plastic materials. Sold packs of 8.
- Brand – Bambdable is a small brand that specializes in eco-friendly bamboo products in the home.
- Bottom line – the Bamdable Bamboo Toothbrush for Kids (link to read reviews on Amazon) is the best bamboo toothbrush for kids. The cute animal designs and colored bristles will get kids excited about brushing and learning about an environmentally friendly lifestyle.
7. Bamboozled Charcoal-Infused Bamboo Toothbrush
- Handle – made from 100% organic bamboo, the handle has a minimal ergonomic design that is olive oil infused for a smooth finish. Each brush is numbered, so perfect for families so they won’t get mixed up.
- Bristles – the charcoal-infused bristles are made from BPA-free nylon. The bristles have a much thinner feel to them and are available in both soft and medium softness.
- Packaging – the minimal packaging uses compostable cardboard and is plastic-free. Sold in packs of 8.
- Brand – Bamboozled is a small brand that specializes in premium eco-friendly bamboo toothbrushes.
- Bottom line – the Bamboozled Charcoal-Infused Bamboo Toothbrush (link to read reviews on Amazon) is the best bamboo toothbrush for those who want charcoal infused bristles.
8. Laboos Bamboo Toothbrush
- Handle – the 100% bamboo handles feature a unique ergonomic shape that is comfortable but also very eye-catching. Each brush features different pastel colors.
- Bristles – the extra-soft bristles are made from BPA-free nylon.
- Packaging – all packaging materials are made from 80% raw materials and come in a compostable cardboard box. Sold in packs of 8.
- Brand – Laboos is a growing brand that offers a variety of eco-friendly bamboo household products.
- Bottom line – the Laboos Bamboo Toothbrush (link to read reviews on Amazon) has the softest bristles with a sleek and attractive handle design. A great option for youngsters or those with sensitive teeth who need much softer bristles.
A Bit About Bristles
There are two different bristle types available for bamboo toothbrushes: nylon bristles and charcoal-infused bristles. Both are made from nylon, a material derived from petroleum. The difference between nylon and charcoal-infused bristles can come down to personal preference and how soft you prefer your toothbrush to be.
Nylon bristles are generally softer on your gums and teeth and less expensive. Charcoal-infused bristles (still made from nylon) may feel stiffer at first but will get softer over time with use. Charcoal-infused bristles benefit claims for better whitening of your teeth and balancing pH levels while removing toxins.
Keep in mind the toothpaste you use will also be an important factor. If you are on the fence about which bristle type to choose, I encourage you to try both. Some prefer the extra cleaning capacity that charcoal-infused bristles contain while others prefer a softer and natural cleaning.
Tips for Caring for Your Bamboo Toothbrush
The great part about a bamboo toothbrush is that it requires very little extra care compared to a plastic toothbrush. Here are some tips for caring for your new toothbrush:
- Recycle the packaging – since you want to be eco-friendly, make sure you purchase a bamboo toothbrush with packaging that is compostable or recyclable and plastic-free.
- Keep it dry – after using, a quick wipe with a dry towel will ensure the longevity of your bamboo toothbrush.
- Store upright – after drying, keep it stored upright in a clean glass container just as you would with a plastic toothbrush. This will allow any moisture to dissipate between each use.
- Rinse with water – you may notice the color of the bamboo around the top portion that goes in the mouth or the handle become slightly darker or lighter, but don’t worry, this is a normal reaction of bamboo fibers being exposed to water. If there is any discoloration from toothpaste, feel free to give it a light rinse using warm water. Avoid soap or disinfectant. Bamboo has natural antibacterial properties so no need for added chemicals.
How to Dispose of Your Bamboo Toothbrush
There will be the day when you need to get rid of and replace your bamboo toothbrush. When the bristles on your bamboo toothbrush become frayed or the handle begins to show significant splintering, its time to replace it.
Before you toss it out, there are a few things you need to do so you can ensure your bamboo toothbrush can be recycled properly:
- Upcycle – try to reuse your worn-out bamboo toothbrush before recycling it. Old toothbrushes serve as great scrubbers for cleaning the grout in showers, rubbing the stains out of clothing, and polishing up the faucets and drains in the bathroom.
- Remove bristles – before you put your bamboo toothbrush in the compost, make sure you remove the bristles as they are made from small nylon pieces that are too small to be recycled. Simply grab a pair of pliers and pull the bristles out small section by section. With a secure grip and strong pliers, the bristles should slip out easily. Make sure all the bristles are removed before composting.
- Compost – once you’ve removed the bristles, it’s time to compost the bamboo handle. If you compost in your backyard I recommend breaking up the handle a bit with a hammer before depositing in your pile. The bare toothbrush handle should return to the soil within six months’ time. Since the nylon bristles are too small to be recycled they will have to be put in the trash. In total, this will result in less than .01 ounces in plastic waste which is a massive improvement from plastic toothbrushes.
A Small Step Towards Sustainability
In the US alone it’s estimated that nearly one billion plastic toothbrushes end up in the landfill each year. This is far too much excess plastic waste that can be easily prevented with a switch to a more environmentally friendly toothbrush. If you haven’t already made the switch, we encourage you to give it a shot.
One of the best benefits of bamboo toothbrushes is that they are all relatively affordable, especially compared to their plastic counterparts. Bamboo toothbrushes make fantastic gifts and are a fun way to get family and friends involved with eco-friendly living. We hope you enjoy your environmentally-conscious switch to a bamboo toothbrush!